View Single Post
Old
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Bergeron should be replaced by J. Staal. I see very little chance for Bergeron to make it with J. Staal filling that role.

I wouldn't write off Iginla so fast. Obviously Hall/RNH/Seguin are the popular picks to replace him but I can see Stevie Y wanting a veteran like Iggy on this squad. With first timers like Stamkos/Giroux/Tavares/J. Staal/Eberle likely to make it he'll want someone who is a rock like Iginla. Plus people are talking like Iggy is done. 32 goals this past year on a horrible team! I think he keeps it up and wears the 'C' in 2014. I'm not taking him off my projected roster until he proves otherwise. A spot is his to lose, he has earned that.

Goaltending is tough to forecast because we all know you ride the hot hand. Price is my only lock simply because he is the best Canadian goalie and I don't see that changing. Will Fleury bounce back after a rough playoff? (I think yes). Will Mike Smith continue to play out of this world? (I think he'll regress a tad). Where will Luongo go with his play assuming he leaves VAN? Goalies 2 & 3 are such a toss up IMO.

Anybody think Dan Girardi has a shot? He's such a beast on the back end. I think Yzerman will LOVE him, just not sure if there's room. A good problem to have with all our excellent D-men
Jordan Staal is a good player, but how is he better than Bergeron? Bergeron is the best right-handed faceoff man in the league, elite on the PK, an absolute beast defensively, and offers some pretty good offensive upside too. Besides size and reach, I don't see what Staal offers that Bergeron doesn't.

Girardi certainly has a shot, but I think he's behind a few others like Seabrook, Myers, Staal, and Letang when we're talking about our #5 to #7 d-men. Doughty, Keith, Weber, and Pietrangelo I have as locks and Letang as a near-lock, but the problem is that out of that group only Keith is a LH shot which may give guys like Staal or even Hamhuis or Del Zotto a better chance if Yzerman and the rest of Hockey Canada care about that sort of thing (which I believe they do). He'll get invited to the summer orientation camp, and I guess we'll see from there.

As far as Iggy goes - I just don't see him as being an Olympic-caliber player by 2014. We'll have enough leadership withy Crosby, Toews, Giroux, maybe Perry/Getzlaf, Weber, Keith, Doughty, Bergeron...