View Single Post
Old
08-08-2012, 03:57 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Best example I can think of is Jim Rutherford when last lockout ended. He signed castoffs like Whitney, Stillman, Gerber that nobody else wanted and put them in positions to become stars, let rookies and 2nd year guys take key roles, built a team around depth rather than star power.

Didn't work long-term but that probably had more to do with age, unfortunate injuries and changes in the way the game was being played.
Same can very much be said for Edmonton in 2006. Both of those teams were build around solid two way players (Brind-Amour, Wesley, Horcoff, Pisani, Peca, Stoll) insulating a relatively few offensive guys (Staal, Williams, Hemsky, Samsonov).

Whatever the "measure" is, I have no doubt those guys would have scored off the charts on it.

In my view it boils down fairly closely to puck possession, (which itself is an outcome of a number of skills)... the problem is that it is more difficult to find cheaper guys that are good puck possessors... they tend to be the Lidstrom and Sedins of the league.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote