View Single Post
Old
12-03-2003, 12:38 PM
coyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
I've seen you write about how the Oilers are struggling due to poor execution by the players while they're on the ice. I believe a lot of it has to do with them having their roles changed every game because of the MacT blender. Its hard to get into a comfort zone when you're constantly thinking about where you'll be placed next.

Take Smyth for instance, he's been a scoring LW for his entire career. That's his comfort zone. All of a sudden, he's turned into a center (out of necessity, I know), and not only that, he's centering our checking line. Basically he has to adapt to his new role and his new surroundings and change his style of play. All of a sudden, rather than doing what his instincts tell him to, he has to analyze the situation, and worry if MacT wants him to drive to the net, or stay back. I might be assuming too much, or I may be underestimating the player's smarts, but I don't know how effective a player could be when he's thinking too much.

Say you've been working at a fast food joint for the past 10 years. You've only been making the french fries, and you've become pretty darn good at it. All of a sudden, you're thrown into making burgers, and before you could get comfortable, they assign you to milkshakes. On your next shift, the manager says forget about the shakes and work on the cash register. You can't help but feel a little overwhelmed with a sudden change of roles...worrying about getting too comfortable cause you'll never know if they decide to have you do sundaes on your next shift.

I know, bad analogy, but that's the way I see it.
Basically you hit it right on the nose. Very good post.