View Single Post
Old
08-08-2012, 09:30 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
I thought it cool that in the last few minutes when it was 3-on-3 Fogarty was the lone US forward. His faceoff ability and defensive play were pretty impressive, IMO. Did not have a ton of that in HS...

One other quick point before I forget on Skjei's skating:

I agree with Ih8theislanders that Skjei had an iffy first period. He is extremely skilled at rushing the puck (really due to his skating) but he did cause a few turnovers by trying to force too much.

However, despite a few bumps, there was a sequence in the second that really screamed "wow, I understand why we drafted him". It was carbon copy of McDonagh.

The US left winger (forget who) had a lane to rush the puck up us along the left boards, but the other two forwards were changing. Skjei read the play perfectly, jumped up to catch the winger just inside the offensive blueline. He opened himself up in the high slot, stick drawn back, ready for a one timer. The winger recognized him and tried to force a pass but it was picked off.

This is what really impressed me: from 3ft inside the offensive blueline Skjei displayed a "McDonagh-like" burst of speed to get back and break up the Finns who were entering the US zone. And he did it with pure strength, shouldering a Finn from the side, knocking the puck free and sending the Finn flying off course. Just pure power and athletic ability.