View Single Post
Old
08-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
So, let me get this straight: There are people that believe Carolina is better than a team that is bringing back almost all of their pieces from last season, has many young, talented forwards, and decent blueline, and a goalie who can be very good?

Carolina finished 12th in the East last season and people think they will jump to a team that will win it's division as well as finish with 4th most points in the East? I really want to hear the mindset of people here on Carolina. That to me is the biggest thing here. No team makes a jump like Carolina is going to make, and I'm not talking about standings position. I'm referring to lottery selection to a team that can compete for the Cup?

Not happening. Carolina should have been gone 4 selections ago.
I don't mean to lurk or anything, but you're pretty off base here.

Under Maurice, the Canes went 8-13-4, but under Muller we went 25-20-12. That's an 89 point pace which would have been good for 9th in the conference. If you give Muller a five game grace period to implement his system (we went 1-4 in his first five), then our record under him goes to 24-15-12, which is a 96 point pace, good enough to win the Southeast.

This is taking into consideration that the Canes were without their best defenseman in Joni Pitkanen for almost the entire season; Eric Staal had his worst year since his rookie year; Jussi Jokinen and Tuomo Ruutu had their worst year as Canes, and Skinner was hampered by a concussion for much of the year. You can't really expect everything to go as horribly wrong as it did last year. It's pretty reasonable to expect that all of our main guys up front will have at least decent bounce back years.

Adding Jordan Staal and Alex Semin to a team that was on pace to be well in contention for a playoff spot under Muller, and even win the division if you do excuse his first five games, it's really not unrealistic at all to expect a division title.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote