View Single Post
Old
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I would sit back and watch what happens. If all of a sudden players who were mediocre yesterday became All-Stars under the new rules or All-Star players disappeared from the face of the planet, I would struggle with the idea of a ranking encompassing the old league and the new one.
A perfectly valid line of thought, and the good news is that following it, we haven't yet had a change big enough to worry about.

The forward passing rules change of 29/30 is set up as some kind of dividing line. In the couple of seasons before the change, we have a group of the best players including names such as Frank Boucher, Bill and Bun Cook, Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat, Nels Stewart, Ace Bailey and Carson Cooper.

In the couple of seasons after the change, we have a group of the best players including names such as Frank Boucher, Bill and Bun Cook, Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat, Nels Stewart, Ace Bailey and Carson Cooper.

I think people see the numbers of the 1929/30 season itself and overestimate its effect. For whatever reason, the scoring lists of that season in particular feature a number of large movements from the season before. But many of these big movements reverse the following season. With 29/30 in the middle, Cooney Weiland ranked 17th-1st-9th in scoring, Dit Clapper 38th-3rd-19th, Hec Kilrea 31st-5th-32nd, Norm Himes 41st-8th-29th. (Most of the best scorers that season, though, were among the best scorers before the change.)

So there may have been a short adjustment period; or instead it could be a fluke. But if this massive change did require an adjustment period of less than a full season for the ranking of players to stabilize, holding it against whole generations of players is bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
It would simply have to be a composite of who did the best before and after the changes.
And then there's this perspective, which is simply to evaluate players based on the circumstances in which they actually played.