View Single Post
Old
08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
mindmasher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Personally I do not believe the statistic does much to isolate the individual.

A bit OT, PDO is one of the "regression to the mean" type stats that I think are often very much misused. Here for example is Derek Zona's take on what the numbers say about Jordan Eberle...

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/8/7/...-jordan-eberle

What we are being told is that Jordan Eberle's previous season was really primarily a product of luck, and the suggestion above is that he is a 45-50 point player. In my opinion this is simply a ridiculous conclussion for anyone who is supposedly a fan of the Oilers and certainly for anyone who has watched Jordan Eberle play. (And the same goes for those teammates of his who I guess also got lucky.)

While PDO is not explicitly quoted it's use, or should I say misues, tends to lead similar types of statements.
Hunh? What is incorrect about his statement? I'm a huge fan of the Oilers and Eberle; I wish him the best, but it's very simple: he performed at a historically unsustainable level and it's very unlikely that he repeats it. Possible, as most things are, but unlikely.

Not even to mention you are trying to someone hold this up as an indicator of advanced statistic misuse - and I see *zero* arguments as to why this is the case. Why is this a ridiculous conclusion? Where are your arguments that his IPP and S% are sustainable and not influenced heavily by a season of good bounces. I would love to see some contrary arguments based on logic, not hand waving.

mindmasher is offline   Reply With Quote