View Single Post
Old
08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Ha, the only way I think I could have done better is if I was blonde. Seriously, Japanese girls just lose their s--- for blonde hair. You could be the homeliest ogre to fall out of the ugly tree, but if you're 6'+ and blonde, you basically need to learn kendo for swatting the horde away.
Haha, good to know, I have blonde hair. I have had similar treatments in Latin America.

Quote:
The best advice I can give you (especially if a 2nd language is involved) is go somewhere with the intention of staying longer than a year, and try not to decide whether to stay or go any time in your first year there. It can take a year, even in total immersion, to absorb enough grammar, vocabulary, and slang to let you really get to know the people around you. And once you're able to do that, it's amazing how quickly and vastly the country around you will seem to open. I really found it rewarding when I got to the level where friends/family could come and visit, and I could orchestrate and guide every step of trips that would include more than just the "standard" tourist destinations. That was definitely some time in year two.
Yeah, I just haven't gotten the chance yet. I spent 5 months in Rio, but you are right, it just isn't enough time. Once I finish my degree(s) I will have more options, I don't really plan on living in Canada.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote