Old
08-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
First, I'm not sure just how underrepresented the pre-O6 period is:
Bear in mind I am speaking conceptually, and not only about this one specific list.

Quote:
15/70 players from before WW2 seems like plenty of representation to me.
I might quibble with this somewhat, since "pre-WW2" is a period of hockey history over twice the length of the O6 era (remember it's not just the NHL/NHA that matters). But it's not an obviously problematic number. I'm debating particular statements made in this thread, not just the results of the list.

Quote:
I don't want to do a disservice to earlier eras, but I truly believe the 20th best player today is probably much better than the 10th, maybe even 5th best player from some random year before WW2.
Sure, because there are a greater number of players at talent level X as time goes on. But this is not the same as saying that pre-WW2 players cannot be properly evaluated because the game was so different.

Quote:
Maybe someone who is more interested in pre-WW2 era can use the "league equivalency" type of approach and study how the quality of the league(s) changed from the inception of the league(s) through WW2. This would at least give us some evidence to use.
A large part of my blog is devoted to exactly this. I'm doing an enormous amount of work on leagues before WW2 to get an idea of their quality.

Iain Fyffe is online now   Reply With Quote