View Single Post
Old
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Honestly, I think people get too high and low on him. His first year ( the half season) people said future 30 goal scorer and fixture on Spezzas wing. After last year he was a AHL player.

He was out of shape to start the year, then got injured soon after he came back.

I think winning an AHL title his first year and getting first line minutes in the NHL was actually bad for him. He deserved what he got at the start of the year by playing on the fourth line.

But towards the end of the year, he did hustle, and played positional defensive hockey. Now im not saying he should be a bottom sixer, but if he becomes less of a liability, with his goal scoring, he's an NHLer
Seems like a good evaluation. His true talent probably lies somewhere in the middle, a 15-20 goal scorer who isn't a sieve in his own end.

In case anyone is interested, some advanced stats (numbers in parentheses is Butler's rank among OTT forwards who played 20+ games):

11-12
QualComp: -0.293 (10/15)
Corsi Rel: 3.5 (6/15)
Pen. Drawn/60: 0.7 (8/15)
Off. Zone Start: 56.1% (7/15)

10-11
QualComp: 0.478 (5/13)
Corsi Rel: 2.1 (8/13)
Pen. Drawn/60: 0.6 (12/13)
Off. Zone Start: 50.0% (10/13)

Nothing too spectacular jumps out here. Doesn't seem to draw many penalties and was slightly positive in puck possession, but more or less in the middle of the pack in relation to his teammates. There wasn't any real extreme in his zone usage.

Butler's 36 game 10-11 season was pretty impressive. His 13.7% shooting percentage was high, but not any higher than his AHL or college numbers indicate. So he probably does have some real shooting talent. He also generated over 2 shots per game, which is very impressive for a rookie. In 11-12 his shooting percentage dipped to 7.0%, which might be the result of some poor luck since he's always been a good shooter. The disconcerting part is that his shot generation dropped to 1.5 shots per game.

Overall, I like this signing.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote