View Single Post
Old
08-09-2012, 08:22 PM
spfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I disagree they're that better defensively. IMO you're discriminating against them based on their youth, and putting putting way too much emphasis on physical play for defense. Wingers don't need to be physical to be good defensively.

St. Louis playing with Stamkos padded his stats, there's no way around it. 60 goals 100 points, come on.

Eberle isn't slow.

MSL will 39 in 2014. I don't think he'll be ppg even if still playing with Stamkos. Eberle could easily be at 80-90 points and MSL at 50-60 points. Easy decision here.

Like I said if Bergeon is at the same level as this year, he should be there. However I think it was a career year and the 3 bolded will be clearly better offensively and not as far off defensively as you think.

Switch MSL and Eberle this year. No way MSL comes close to Eberle's 76 points because:
1-No Stamkos
2-Very imited ice time for Oiler stars (he would play less than in TB)
3-RNH and Hall missed some time this year

Eberle was the 3rd most productive player 5-on-5 this season (points/ice time). Behind Crosby and Malkin. Yes ahead of Stamkos.

But RNH isn't one dimensional and has drawn comparisons to Datsyuk. Obviously he needs to improve from his current form, but I see no reason why he wouldn't.

Couture is better offensively than everyone in that bunch though, and is definitely no slouch defensively. Imagine where he'll be in 2 years.

MSL won't be anywhere near the top 4 offensively in 2014. Come on. Crosby, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Eberle is the top 5.

Richards isn't good enough offensively. They're are more talented and swifter skaters available.

Nash is on the bubble, 14/15th forward right now. If Skinner, Duchene, Couture, Seguin, RNH, Hall, don't improve enough I would put Nash in there.

Nash proved himself as a defensive forward DURING that tournament.

The only thing I disagree with is that Begeron, Richards and Nash are 70 point forwards. They're not anymore and I think my guys have a better shot at than them.

Also, before 2010, was Nash considered a good two-way player and penalty killer? NO.

Was Bergeron (same age as Couture will be in 2014) considered an elite defensive forward? At least not more than Couture currently is.

Some guys proved themselves at the Olympics (or after in Bergeron's case - Selke). Seguin and Couture are these types of guys that could break out and reinforce their rep as two-way players.
I'm a big fan of young players and I follow them years before hitting the NHL. I'm a huge fan of the draft and everything, but Duchene and Couture will not be selke caliber players like Bergeron is. This wasn't Bergerons first good year either. Perhaps he'll never win a selke again, but you can bet on him being in the top 10 every year at the very least. Seguin is the only one I see that could get close, but even still not as good(in terms of defense). It doesn't matter a whole lot for their offensive abilities because they're not going to get 18-20 mins and won't get any PP time. A lot of their mins will come from shutting down the other teams and playing the PK. I trust Bergeron a lot more on the PK than I ever would for Couture, Duchene and even Seguin.

A side note, for young players(since you believe I discriminate young players), by 2018 I would most likely have Sean Couturier on my 3rd or 4th line. HE is someone who will be THAT good defensively and offensively as well too.

My point was, St Louis also makes Stamkos look good. You think Stamkos would have reached 60 goals without an elite playmaker? Without St Louis, I bet he would of "only" got 45 goals. Eberle doesn't benefit from TWO 1st overall picks?
Since you take the big ice into the equation so much, I don't know what you have against St Louis, who is a better skater than 99% of the league. As I said, Eberle is quite slow considering his below average size. Eberle isn't going to become a Selke winner either btw.

E.Kane just scored 30 goals in 74 games. Likely to hit 40 goals next year or the year after. He's also good defensively and 1 of the more physical players in the league. Much better complete game and much better suited for a bottom 6 role than Duchene, Seguin, Couture. Also, since he's a very good skater, there's no reason he shouldn't make Team Canada.

Perry just scored 37 goals and got 50 goals and 98 points the year before. Again, Couturue, Seguin, Duchene won't even top that offensively. Perry is better defensively than them now and a year and a half from now, MAYBE they'll be even. He's than thnot a bad skater either and is much more physical em too. He could play any role too. E.Kane and Perry are both locks in my opinion.