View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 01:33 AM
VMBM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Mikhailov had more authority in the corners /boards than Cashman because he had a more versatile skill set. Also he had a much greater presence in all parts of the ice.
"In all parts of the ice" I definitely agree with. Especially in goal-scoring he was miles ahead of Cashman. Ditto for a more versatile skill set.

But I have to disagree about their corner work. From what I've seen, that was Cashman's main job - at least when he was playing with Esposito - i.e. dump & chase and then fight for the puck in the corners, and get the puck to Espo (--> "Espo shoots, he scores!"). Mikhailov's main job, however, was to stand in the slot and score goals (rebounds, deflections). In other words, he was the Espo rather than Cashman of his forward line(s). Look at his G/A ratio, for example; always clearly more goals than assists (especially early in his career, but usually later on too, with some single exceptions).

The dump and chase thing was much bigger part of the North American game in the Seventies. Watch the CSKA vs. the Flyers game, for example. I don't remember Mikhailov showing his authority in the corners at all in that game. He was soundly beaten in that area.

Quote:
You have to appreciate Mikhailov's main skill - creating space and time on the ice for his linemates. Weak linemates given more space and time improve performance.See Rob Brown with Mario Lemieux.
Players like Kharlamov and Makarov created a lot of space for their linemates. Simply because usually one player/defender was not enough to stop them; it required two or even three. Mario Lemieux, hmmm, I think both Kharlamov and Makarov were closer to Lemieux than Mikhailov, though none of them were that skilled or dominating, obviously.

Quote:
I am not ranking just recognizing what skills worked effectively in the NHL of a specific era. No different than a player moving from junior/university/minor leagues to higher leagues or parallel leagues. Certain weak European players surprised in the NHL. Kjell Dahlin is a good example. Those whose skating was not strong enough for the large international rinks could and did find a niche on the smaller NHL surface. Issue is not better but adaptability.
Okay.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote