View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
For somebody that admits that their historical knowledge of hockey is lacking you sure do like giving uneducated opinions. You really don't understand the Canadian passion for the game. I go back to the 50's but I think things were not much different before then. The short days didn't matter. school got out at 3:30, you grabbed your skates & stick & headed to the pond. If it got too dark to play on the pond, you played road hockey under the street lights. in my small village, there was a back yard rink with lights, we played there. Thats what you did. Nobody cared what NHL players got paid. We all would have played for nothing. This is why Canada was the predominant hockey nation. Unless you understand this Canadian passion for the game, you will never understand its history.
I'm trying to learn and presenting my tentative theories about pre-WW2 hockey. I wasn't referring to the 50s, which aren't exactly comparable to the pre-WW2 era which included a worldwide depression for over a decade. I may be wrong in some cases and will admit when I am. I'm surprised a small village had an outdoor rink with lights, and would be more surprised if that was common in the 30s or earlier. I do understand that Canadians are passionate for the game, but perhaps not enough. You would have played for nothing... but could people during the Great Depression afford to play for nothing or peanuts? Maybe in some cases they could, but I would guess not as frequently as in the 50s, when there was more economic activity and jobs were more plentiful in general (so one could find suitable work whenever their hockey career was over).