View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 04:04 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
What are you unsold on about Nieto and why?
He doesn't possess a very heavy shot in my opinion, not NHL quality to date. I like his speed but would hope for a big junior season. He does damage in streaks to date. He had a huge November and February if I remember right. Have seen him play for BU because I wanted to watch Nicastro before he got tossed from the team, followed less intently after that I will admit. He also remains pretty slight and is more a playmaker than goal scorer, which I guess is fine but the Sharks already have a lot of those. He is going to need to fill out and get a little grittier. When comparing him to our top ten you're doing it with an NCAA player versus a lot of guys that are pros or players coming off dynamite seasons in the AHL and CHL. I don't think he is terrible just want to see him have a big junior year before I fully buy in. Not insulting the kid really, I just know a lot more about our guys and would like a pause before annointing Nieto in the same manner from the times I have seen him. Was disappointed he didn't get a better shot to make the USA WJC team. For instance compare him to Nyquist a kid that was more than an honorable mention for all-star hockey east and abused that league and then the AHL. There is a debate if Tatar or Jurco has more talent than Nyquist. I am just saying I want another season to evaluate Nieto to place him over some of these guys. He would be very hard pressed to crack the top 5 even if I am being hyperbolic in regards to our pool while saying ten. Even with that as the case I still wouldn't trade one of our top 10 guys for him personally and I don't mean that disrespectfully, even if my word choice and post was a little heavy handed. It was born out of the no flash in the system when if I could describe half the prospects in it would fit that term.

On Pulkkinen I remain skeptical but his ceiling is among the highest in terms of Detroit prospects. I hate the way the kid skates but he has a dynamite shot. He was rated third by the Hockey News coming into his draft year in the early look draft issue behind behind Hall and Gudbranson (less sure on him but Pulks was third) before missing most of the season due to injury. He has always been tagged a top 10 talent, the year after his draft he threatened Selanne's 18 year old age scoring record in SM-Liiga. Last year he had a down year, I question if he will cope well with the smaller ice and the reduction in time and space. However his skill set and the fact he is already pushing 200 lbs at 5'10"/5'11" depending on who you believe are signs physially he won' be too small to hack it. The guy really is the embodiment of flash, high risk and high reward. He is certainly in the discussion with Jarnkrok, Nyquist and Jurco as to has the most offensive upside in the entire Wings system.

Do I honestly think he gets there? No, that is why I said he was our 12th rated prospect for me personally. But here are some of the things Wings brass says about him from redwingscentral.com

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prosp...emu-pulkkinen/

Quote:
“He loves to have the puck, he loves being on the power play,and he shoots the puck all the time. He’s like Jari Kurri. It’s a nice thing to say, but it’s true, and Jari Kurri wasn’t the fastest skater either … He’s a goal-scorer, which is really hard to find these days, but he can also make plays. He has a good shot and he’s so smart at finding openings.” — Red Wings scout Ari Vuori (June 2010)
Quote:
“We might have a poor-man’s Brett Hull on our hands because he has a hell of a shot.” — Red Wings scout Hakan Andersson (January 2012)
Quote:
“He’s a pure goal-scorer, with a Brett Hull type of shot; loves to shoot the puck, has a great release. Europeans aren’t known as shooters, but he has a Brett Hull type of mentality. Finds open spots, lets it rip.” — Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill (MLive.com, May 2012)
Andersson and Nill are two of the best in the business as far as talent evaluators. Interestingly they have actually morphed from calling him Jari Kurri to Brett Hull. So yeah the upside is real. So my opinion on him is not much different than Nieto. They both have some nice upsides, I am not completely sold on either reaching their maximum potential. What I can say is that if Pulkkinen reaches his zenith as far as people think of him, he will be a much bigger deal.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 08-10-2012 at 04:19 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote