View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 08:09 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Contraction may never happen, but that doesn't mean that its not the best option to improving the financial health of the league. It makes the most business sense.

Hockey will not survive in Seattle or Kansas City. Seattle doesn't have an arena. If they wouldn't renovate Key for an NBA team, why would they do it for a hockey one? Kansas City = Phoenix, but smaller. The Leafs would never approve another team in Hamilton. The only probably place for relocation right now is Quebec City. I highly doubt any of these cities have made a serious offer for an NHL franchise, because if they did, Phoenix would be gone already. They might be offering low values to offset the risk, but that's about it.

The only other option is to fix revenue sharing, which is very broken. The bottom 15 money teams are eligible to get money from the pool. The problem is, many of them don't qualify or get a full share. There are attendance goals to be met. Phoenix and Dallas didn't hit the 80% home attendance needed to qualify. Columbus and the Islanders barely made it, I'm not sure how it affects their share. Certain teams in the bottom half don't even qualify because their markets are too big. Teams like the Islanders, Devils, Ducks, and again Dallas aren't even eligible.

I just never see revenue sharing working that well. It helps, but there is such a big gap between the top and bottom. Ideally for me, Phoenix moves to QC and the Islanders and Columbus are contracted. Expand the roster a spot to minimize player job lost. Columbus has an owner that obviously doesn't care, given that Howson still has a job after failing miserably with that franchise. They've largely been in the mid 70s-mid 80s attendance percentage wise. The NYI are in my opinion, the worst franchise in the NHL. Barely pulling 80% home attendance and having revenues in the 60 million range in the biggest market by far is absolutely ridiculous.
If the NHL contracts then that just means 16 out of 28 teams are losing money instead of 18 out of 30.

And there can be a lot of reasons why a franchise is failing. It doesn't always mean the market isn't viable. Columbus and NYI are struggling for obvious reasons, and I don't think it's because the markets are necessarily bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
1. The strength of the dollar. The dollar will eventually gain strength
They used to say the same thing about the Pound Sterling.