View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Freeptop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Well then find me some examples that show otherwise. Show me a top 10 list generated by Hockey's Future or as voted by some of the boards here or produced by someone that graduated 70-80% of their players to the NHL. I've looked and they don't exist without multiple top 3 picks being included and even then they aren't as successful as you'd think.

Here's the Pens from 2005:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Ryan Whitney
5. Noah Welch
6. Maxime Talbot
7. Colby Armstrong
8. Johannes Salmonsson
9. Sergei Anshakov
10. Andy Chiodo

That lists contains 3 players selected in the top 2 of their respective drafts, 4 in the top 5 and 5 first rounders in total. This list produced 6 players.
On the flip-side, that top 10 list is missing the following players, all of whom have played in at least 200 NHL games, and all of whom were in the prospect pool in 2005:
Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski, Tyler Kennedy, Dan Carcillo, Matt Moulson and Erik Christensen.

It also missed Joe Vitale and Paul Bissonnette who haven't yet hit 200 games, but have established themselves as NHL players.

That raises the total from the prospect pool of the time to a range of 9 to 11 NHLers.

In other words, just because the collective wisdom of Hockey's Future at the time thought that Andy Chiodo was a better prospect than future All-Star Kris Letang doesn't mean that the Pens' current system is only going to produce 3-4 NHLers.

Granted, the successes of Letang and Goligoski (and to an extent, Kennedy as well) are due to the changes in the enforcement of the rules that allow smaller players to succeed, while the people making the ratings hadn't adjusted to that fact yet. At the same time, it is worth noting that the current top 10 list includes the same number of first round picks as that list from 2005.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote