Thread: Value of: Jared Cowen
View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 08:44 PM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
I don't like Turris and never have and have despised the Rundblad trade from square one.

Am I the only one confused as to why everyone is assuming Rundblad isn't going to be a star?

The kid is 21 years old
There's still a chance he'll be a star, sure. Rundblad has some elite tools, and if he realizes his potential, he'll be a very good player.

Personally, I think he'll end up as a 2nd pairing offensive guy. I don't think his defense is ever going to be his best asset, and he doesn't think or play the game fast enough to be a premier offense first guy like Karlsson, Boyle, etc.

Still, a great result from a 17th overall pick.

Is there any reason you don't think Turris won't become a solid top 6 guy? He scored at the same pace as Van Riemsdyk and Voracek last year, two guys who were drafted in the same year and who many already consider good top 6ers.

I see no reason why Turris can't continue to develop into a solid, two way, 55-65 point centerman, ala Stephen Weiss. Basically, a perfect #2 behind Spezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

Turris isn't a 1B center and needs to prove a heck of lot more to even be considered a #2.
Turris is 22 years old. He scored at a pace that over 82 games would put him at 49 points. And that was after missing training camp.

At this point, there's no reason to believe he can't become a solid #2 centerman. Has he developed as quickly as some would of liked? Probably not. But people usually have unrealistic expectations, even for top 5 picks. Not everyone will be a Crosby, Stamkos, Kane, etc.

Last year, Turris scored at the same pace as guys like Voracek, Van Riemsdyk and Okposo. All of those guys were drafted around the same point, and are pretty much the same age. I think everyone would agree that all 3 already are, or are well on their way, to becoming solid top 6ers. Heck, Voracek and Van Riemsdyk are pencilled in to be on their team's first lines. Why can't the same be said for Turris?

Personally, I think he ends up being a similar player to Stephen Weiss. Weiss didn't have his first good offensive season until he was 23 (when he notched 48 points), but has become a very good two way centerman, scoring 40+ points in each of the last 6 season, and 55+ points in 3 of those. I bet every team would love to have him anchoring their 2nd line, especially if they already had a premier guy like Spezza on line 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He rode Alfie's jock all season and only put up 19 points in his last 40 games. He's going to have to improve substantially to show that he could ever carry a line of Lats/Silfverberg/Stone/Zibanejad/etc after Alfie retires.
You mean a 22 year old scored at a 0.5 point per game pace in his first season in a more offensive role on a new team after missing training camp?

What a bust!

As much as I love Alfredsson, he's at the tail end of his career and he won't be carrying anyone anymore. He himself didn't score at a much higher pace despite getting significantly more PP time on the top unit. (Alfredsson scored at a 0.54 pt/game pace at even strength, Turris scored at a 0.44 pt/game pace). He's not Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos, etc. Nobody's going to be riding his jock and leaching points off him, and Turris didn't do it last season.

Last edited by SixthSens: 08-11-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: merged triple post
DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote