View Single Post
Old
08-10-2012, 08:46 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Let's say before a draft, the Flames were to make a pitch to get a top 5 pick, Jbo wouldn't land that alone. I don't think Bouwmeester would get Couts straight up either, but with how desperate Philly is for a dman this may be our opportunity to leverage a player like Couturier from the Flyers. What I mean is that if the Flames add to deal, then maybe we have a shot to get him.

What I would offer is Jbo, Backlund and a 1st. Value wise I think its bang on. They get their top pairing dman, a young center with upside who can play on the 3rd next year, and a draft pick that they may view as a top 15 pick in a deep draft. I would just ask for Gus to come back our way to help restock our defensive depth.

Feaster can always move vets like Stemps, Comeau etc. at the upcoming deadline to help add some more draft picks. It would suck to lose our 1st, but with all the prospects we added over the last 2 drafts, I think we will survive.

I usually don't disagree with you, but I honestly feel your are strongly overvaluing Couturier and his potential. That is a hell of an overpayment for a relatively unproven commodity in my opinion.

I, unlike you don't see that franchise potential in Couturier either.
I also believe that drafting in the top 10-15th in the draft is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be in this forum. I would say that the chances of landing an impact player in that range is around 65-70%.

Looking over the past ten drafts, these are the players I would not package with Bouwmeester to land Couturier (all selected between 10-15)

2011: Jonas Brodin, Sven Baertschi, Ryan Murphy
2010: Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, Jaden Schwartz, Vladimir Tarasenko
2009: Dmitri Kulikov, Ryan Ellis
2008: Cody Hodgson, Tyler Myers, Erik Karlsson
2007: Brandon Sutter, Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Shattenkirk, Lars Eller
2006: Bryan Little, Jonathan Bernier, Michael Grabner
2005: Anze Kopitar, Marc Staal, Luc Bourdon*
2004: Drew Stafford, Alexander Radulov
2003: Andrei Kostistyn, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook
2002: Alexander Semin

Given the recognition this draft has received for quite some time now about its top end talent and depth, I don't think it is the year to be taking that risk. On top of that we are essentially throwing in a potential 2nd line center in Backlund.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I don't think the potential payoff outweighs the potential risk.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 08-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote