Thread: Confirmed with Link: Rick Jeanneret named to Media Wing of HHOF
View Single Post
Old
08-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
For most every change in Buffalo Sabres history - blue and gold to red and black and then back, team owners one to four, 1971 to 2012 - there have been two constants: a fan base and a voice.

The two share a special connection that has left the man behind "La La La LaFontaine" and "May day" reflective.

"I sometimes wonder how I got cast in this position," said Rick Jeanneret. "I feel specially honored."

The longest-tenured broadcaster in the NHL has been inducted into the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame and Hockey Hall of Fame, among numerous other honors, but he said his induction into the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame this year is special for one reason.

"This is more an award from the community," Jeanneret said. "I've had such a great association with the fans over the years. Getting into the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame is almost like being elected by the fans."
Quote:
A whole lot changed, actually, but Jeanneret never did. His youthful exuberance wowed - and continues to wow - his audience.

That audience missed his energy for 25 games last year, which Jeanneret chose to sit out.

He hated it. Jeanneret is returning to a full schedule this season.

"The travel thing has bothered me the last couple of years and it still does, but once I get to the arena and sit down I'm very comfortable," Jeanneret said. "I sit there and take a look at everything and say: 'OK, let's have some fun.'"
Quote:
With Jeanneret's storied history and memorable calls, fans dread the day he turns off his microphone.

"Truly, when I say I'm taking it a year at a time, I really am taking it a year at a time," he said. "Nor do I know beyond this year that I'd want to cover the full schedule again. But I thought this year, I'll take another kick at the can.

"And on top of that, I think this is going to be a pretty good hockey team."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle997437.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote