Team USA World Junior Championship Evaluation Camp Predictions
View Single Post
08-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Originally Posted by
William H Bonney
Now that the camp has concluded, here's my updated Team USA roster prediction using only players that were
to the summer camp.
John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - Stefan Noesen
Tyler Biggs - Rocco Grimaldi - J.T. Miller (A)
Mario Lucia - Sean Kuraly - Nic Kerdiles
Blake Pietila - Vincent Trocheck - Ryan Hartman
Mike Reilly - Seth Jones (A)
Jake McCabe - Jacob Trouba (C)
Shayne Gostisbehere - Connor Murphy
- Gibson is a lock in goal and I think Sparks would get the backup nod right now. However, Stolarz is raw (mentioned this camp is the first time he's ever had a goalie coach) and could steal that spot as he also played well in the camp. Sounds like Gillies struggled a bit and has probably fallen behind the others by a large amount.
- I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Reilly or Gostisbehere fall off and end up missing out on the team like some of the other summer camp stars of years passed. That said, both are in the mold of a player that Housley loves though and they now have a leg up on their direct competition (Skjei, Grzelcyk, Cooper, Schmaltz, etc.)
- I still hope that Housley opts for 3 two-way d-men (Jones, Trouba, Murphy), 2 offensive d-men (Reilly and Gostisbehere), and 2 defensive d-men (McCabe and Sieloff) but I think he'll probably choose to go with another pure skater a la Skjei over one of the defensive d-man spots.
- I don't think many, if any, d-men not at this camp will get themselves heavily in the mix but I think some forwards will, especially for the bottom line roles. Grimaldi is the obvious top line player that wasn't at camp but I think some other forwards that will/should be in contention for the final team include Brady Vail, Joe LaBate, Matt Lane, Daniel O'Regan, and Quentin Shore. Those are all guys that could add some nice depth to the bottom 6 competition.
- I still expect a '95 will either make the team or be one of the last cuts. J.T. Compher is the best bet since he's got decent size and high end offensive with defensive ability as well. I could see him having a Jason Zucker like impact from the 2010 WJC team: starting as the 13th forward and continually climbing lines. Other candidates would include a Tyler Motte, Adam Erne, or Taylor Cammarata.
the top 95 with the best chance to make this squad imo is Adam Erne...
likely to be at 6'1 210 when this tourney rolls around, this is the kid to keep a very close on eye
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by AmericanDream