Thread: Value of: Ty Rattie to the Flames
View Single Post
Old
08-12-2012, 08:17 AM
WichitaBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Say what you mean and mean what you say. I don't mix words. Seeing as how "there's nobody on the Flames that the Blues want other than Giordano" was brought up quite a few times, you could see how anyone through ambiguous statements would assume any player.

That entire paragraph is a perfect showing of why you can't afford to play. I'm not saying the Blues are mismanaged. I'm saying they are not big players because there's always bigger fish in the pond.

Is St Louis justified in not wanting to pay "full retard" prices? Yeah, they are. But they're also the second place team in the Western Conference. They have a good system and a great coach. They should be spending.
But I think they're really just financially handicapping themselves by conservatively spending all the time. They're not going to get "hometown discount UFAs" like Garrison because St Louis isn't a hockey development hotbed. For players like Yandle, I don't think they have much to give up because yeah, everyone else would be too and with bigger pieces and the cap to trade for them (even though his price is quite reasonable, which only drives demand upwards). And for players like Carle or even Wideman, who got overpriced contracts, well, they're just going to be outpriced almost every time. that's the nature of UFA.
Even when you're willing to play, there's a bigger kid out there who can knock you down every time and take your lunch. It's what's happened every time so far.

Of course I don't know everything about you guys but when was the last time the Blues attracted a big UFA or a big trade that involved a player with more than 4.5 - 5m in cap space? I can't recall one in the last 5 years, but I'm more than OK with being proven wrong.

If your window is now, then don't waste it on particulars. If Rattie is part of the Stanley Cup solution in St Louis, that's great. But as a prospect with no NHL games to his belt, he could also fall flat, which isn't likely but stranger things have happened. His value isn't stellar, yet. And Bouwmeester or Giordano aren't the be-all end-all solution, but I really wonder when the time comes will your management even be able to push that button and put the team over the top?
I feel like you're saying the blues should go out and trade or sign players no matter the price. I don't want the blues to get stuck overpaying for crappy dman like dennis wideman. Its so easy for you to spend other peoples money. Spending with no regard use to be the motto of the blues. It took a decade to fix the blues, and I dont want to go back there.

WichitaBlues is offline   Reply With Quote