View Single Post
Old
08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Now that the camp has concluded, here's my updated Team USA roster prediction using only players that were invited to the summer camp.

Forwards (x13):

John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - Stefan Noesen
Tyler Biggs - Rocco Grimaldi - J.T. Miller (A)
Mario Lucia - Sean Kuraly - Nic Kerdiles
Blake Pietila - Vincent Trocheck - Ryan Hartman
Stefan Matteau

Defense (x7):

Mike Reilly - Seth Jones (A)
Jake McCabe - Jacob Trouba (C)
Shayne Gostisbehere - Connor Murphy
Brady Skjei

Goalies (x2):

John Gibson
Garret Sparks
To me the big question for the team will be how strong Grimaldi looks to begin the season and who he'd end on a line with in December. I still feel that he could be the offensive leader for the team.

I actually thought Galchenyuk was most effective when paired with Miller. On the same note, Noesen seemed to work best with Kuraly and Lucia. I think I'd go with something like this up front...

John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - J.T. Miller
Reid Boucher - Rocco Grimaldi - Ryan Hartman/Tyler Biggs
Mario Lucia - Sean Kuraly - Stefan Noesen
Blake Pietila - Vincent Trocheck - Tyler Biggs/Ryan Hartman
Stefan Matteau/Nic Kerdiles

Boucher didn't have a great evaluation camp but he and Grimaldi have been a deadly duo over the years. If Miller is with Galchenyuk then the question becomes who's most effective in his place. Hartman is more offensively skilled and creative than Biggs but Biggs did well in the evaluation camp and might work well in that spot. This could be a spot where a guy like Erne could fit in if he comes out flying this fall.

I'd probably prefer Kerdiles over Matteau at this point but it's hard to leave Matteau off given the eligibility questions looking to the future (Should that be an issue? Given the limited role I'd see either playing it is to me with an eye towards the future).

I think Compher could play on this team but given the strength up the middle it'd probably be as a 13th forward. I don't know that they'll take him over the older, more experienced wingers given the limited role he'd be playing and what I see as questions on the wings.

The defense is a hard call. I wasn't crazy about McCabe nor Skjei in the evaluation and I think a guy like Grzelcyk could still be in the competition against those guys as I think he's smart enough on both ends to be a two-way guy. I think Reilly is a sure thing but Gostisbehere was such a surprise that there's still a part of me that wants to see him prove himself a bit more over the fall. Sieloff was better in the evaluation camp than my previous international viewings and he could earn a depth role on the team, depending on what Housley wants.

There'll be a lot of interesting things to watch as the season unfolds.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote