View Single Post
Old
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Highly unlikely but not impossible. If Jones were to come in and immediately have a Drew Doughty like impact, he'd certainly be in the discussion. But, that's not common, regardless of how good Jones is a prospect. Another factor working against Jones would be that since he's a late birthday he's obviously not eligible to be in the draft until 2013 and thus, if he were to immediately play in the NHL and have a Doughty like impact he'd still only be in the middle of his rookie season when Sochi would roll around. A guy like Doughty had a full rookie season and then was in the middle of his 2nd year when he made the Vancouver team. That extra experience is enormous and would be another factor working against Jones.

I hate to dismiss anything but I can't see it happening. I could see Jones sneaking onto one of the next 2 World Championship squads though, especially with how little interest in generates among the American NHLers, although hopefully that interest will be eleveated here for the next tournament as players want to audition for Sochi.