Thread: Prospect Info: 2012-13 Prospect Updates
View Single Post
Old
08-13-2012, 12:02 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Can you guys give me any info on Alex Chiasson?
He'll have a shot at earning a roster spot in the NHL, but he's mostly likely headed to Texas.

His competition probably boils down to Wandell, Garbutt, Secviour, Fraser, Glennie, and Reilly Smith.

There are basically 3 spots open for 1 game day spot. The most likely scenario IMO is the team has no issue with Wandell, Garbutt, and Sceviour rotating healthy scratches for the final game day spot.

They won't keep Chiasson, Fraser, Glennie, and Reilly Smith in a situation where they aren't playing every game. In addition, I don't think those guys are going to earn 4th line minutes either. That means they have to likely push Brenden Morrow or Tomas Vincour to 4th line.

It's a long, hard road to the NHL for him to start the year, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

Still ... if the season starts on time, my money is on him not starting in the NHL. He'll get Top 6 minutes plus PP and PK time with Texas.

If you're looking for a scouting report, he's a big winger that shored up previous issues with his skating. He's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, and he's possibly Dallas' most polished two-way prospect.

This feels like it could be a fantasy keeper league question so I'll add that IMO he is an ideal complement to Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson. His playmaking skills would be huge for that line. Plus, he can help Benn with faceoffs. His upside is pretty significant, and he's Dallas best forward prospect at this point IMO. I think he'll make some small impact at the NHL level this season, but he should be a regular by next season.

At this point ... I could see him replacing Jagr next season and two of the other guys I mentioned replacing Ryder and Morrow. I'm honestly more excited about 2013-14 for the Dallas Stars than I am 2012-13.