View Single Post
Old
08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Elwin "Doc' Romnes, LW/C, led the Blackhawks to its first Stanley Cup in 1934 with a team-high 9 playoff points, 7 of which were assists. He had been the team's assist leader in the regular season, a feat he repeated again in 1936 the year he won the Lady Byng trophy and in 1938 again in the regular season, adding 6 points in the Blackhawk's second Stanley Cup championship. He had also scored and assisted in Stanley Cup Finals runs in 1931 and 1939. He was 3rd, 4th and 7th in NHL assists in his three best seasons that decade. He played 360 NHL games between 1930-1940 and registered 204 points. He is a charter member of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

Quote:
When “Doc” Romnes stepped on the ice for the Chicago Blackhawks in December 1930, he became the first Minnesotan to play in the NHL and there wasn’t exactly a welcoming committee awaiting him at Chicago Stadium. Don Riley’s Column, Pioneer Press, March 7, 1985:
“...There were times when nobody on my own Chicago Blackhawk team talked to me...They treated me a little like I was a thief. They wondered what an American was doing invading their preserve. Gosh, how I’d try to be a good teammate and set them up! That’s why I became a good playmaker, setting those fellows up so that they’d talk to me. I eventually got accepted, but it wasn’t easy.”

Romnes was born in White Bear Lake on New Year’s Day, 1907, but by the time high school started, he was enrolled and playing for the former Mechanic Arts High School in Saint Paul. That was followed by time at the College of St. Thomas before moving on to post-graduate hockey. He made his pro debut with the Saint Paul Saints in the minor pro American Hockey Association. There he caught the eye of the Blackhawks, whose owner Major Frederick MacLaughlin was particularly interested in American players. He soon became a regular and attained another first in 1934 as the first Minnesotan to have his name on the Stanley Cup as Chicago defeated Detroit.

His best year was 1935-36 when he scored 38 points (13g, 25a) and won the Lady Byng Trophy for sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high level of play.
“Doc” would win another Stanley Cup in 1938 when the decidedly underdog Hawks sneaked into the playoffs with a 14-25-9 record and reeled off wins in three playoff series to bring another cup to the Windy City.

“Doc” (He hated his given name Elwyn and got his nickname because he carried his skates in a physician’s case)
http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=512864

Last edited by VanIslander: 08-13-2012 at 05:09 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote