View Single Post
Old
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Any word on Andronov yet, if official?
Nothing yet... but I was thinking about something.

I've heard people say that the Blues won't offer Andronov an NHL contract (AHL deal only) because they already have 49 players signed to NHL contracts out of a maximum of 50, and they're looking to save that last contract for a LD to play with Pietrangelo.

Of the 49 contracts they have signed, however, Binnington's contract and Rattie's contract are both subject to the Entry Level Slide rule, and if I'm thinking right, that means that those contracts won't count against the 50 contract maximum this year as long as those players return to junior, which they probably will.

So, for all practical purposes, the Blues have just 47/50 NHL contracts signed now, and have no more RFA's to sign... so they don't have to offer Andronov just an AHL contract. They can give him a two-way entry-level deal and let him take a shot at making the bottom six forwards in camp (possibly meshing with Grachev?) before they assign him to AwesomeTown.

As long as he's aware that he's still probably going to end up in Peoria, and is OK with that, I would think that signing Andronov would be a no-brainer if he wants to give the North American game a shot.

If Andronov and Grachev do develop some chemistry, that's a potentially sick AHL combo to flank a center like McRae, or possibly even Sonne, who's a good enough skater to keep up with the Russians and has some playmaking ability.