View Single Post
Old
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Andrei

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I already said Columbus.

Edmonton: They have 4 superstar players right now in Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and Hall. They just signed Schultz and have good depth players. They may have been bad lately but they're going to be a very good team soon.
Perhaps you can explain how a team with four superstar players and "good depth players" finished 26 points behind a pathetic roster like Calgary's, and in the bottom two of the entire league for the third season in a row? Clearly they are missing something, no? And even if they improve (and they likely will), are they going to improve 26 points in the standings? And even if they do, and the Flames remain stagnant, that will only bring the Oilers up to the level of the "pathetic" Flames.

Quote:
Anaheim: They may have missed the playoffs but they still have some very good players. Their first line is among the best in the league (they're apparently trading Ryan but they will get a bunch back for him to make up for it) They also have some very good young players that are coming up in Etem, Smith-Pelley, Fowler, and Sbisa.
Yes, but even with one of the best first lines in the league, and their very good young players, they still finished ten points behind the Flames last season. What have they done to pull themselves up from sub-pathetic so that they can join the Flames as just pathetic?

Quote:
Dallas: They don't have much but I would still put them better than Calgary. They still certainly have some star power; Jamie Benn, Louis Eriksson, Brendan Morrow. They picked up Derek Roy this year, and Ryder can put up some goals.
Eleven goal, 15 assist Brendan Morrow is star power but 26 goal, 22 assist Curtis Glencross is average and a dime a dozen? Also, Loui Eriksson, who I love, outscored a washed up Jarome Iginla by four points (and scored six less goals.) To me, these rosters are very comparable, talent-wise, and I'm not at all surprised that they finished last season within one point of each other.

Quote:
Montreal:They have an all star goalie, some good defenseman coming up. PK Subban is a star player, Josh Gorges is a good player. Jared Tinordi will be very good as well, also their draft pick this year, Galchenyuk.
So they have a handful of good players, a handful of average players, and then some plugs? How is that any different than the Flames' roster, except that the Habs' collection of good players, average players, and plugs, finished last season with 12 less points than the Flames' collection.

Quote:
NYI: They have John Tavares and they're building around him. Their future is no doubt better than Calgarys right now.
How do you have so little doubt about the future? Again, finished 11 points behind the pathetic Calgary Flames.

Quote:
Toronto; They have Kessel, Gardiner, JVR, Lupul, and Reimer. I don't like the Leafs but they do have some quality players. Their quality is better than Calgarys quality IMO. (Notice how I'm not adding players like Grabovski and Phaneuf who are equal to someone like Glencross. I didn't even add Kadri who is much better than someone like Brodie for their prospects)
How is a 21 year old Kadri, who managed to crack the Leafs' roster for all of 21 games last season, a "much better" prospect than 22 year old Brodie, who played 54 games as a defenceman for the Flames (and, as an aside, scored twice as many points)? And what makes the Leafs' handful of good players so much better than the Flames' handful of good players? And if they are so much better, why did they finish ten points behind the pathetic Flames last season?

Quote:
Winnipeg: Evander Kane is what Iginla used to be and if Iginla was young like Evander Kane is than they would be in a much better position. They also have Burmistrov, Ladd and Blake Wheeler (who played one of the best games against the Blues I have ever seen, seriously dominated that game)
Evander Kane is what Iginla used to be? Evander Kane, who in his best season ever (last season), was outscored by ten points by a washed up Jarome Iginla. I presume you mean that Evander Kane is what Iginla was in the first few years of his career, a young player struggling to establish himself as a star in the NHL. You can't possibly mean that Evander Kane has already established himself as a player even remotely close to Jarome Iginla of 2011-12, let alone Jarome Iginla of 2010-11, let alone Jarome Iginla of his Rocket Richard-winning prime.

Quote:
Tampa Bay: They have the purest goal scorer in the league right now, and if I'm going to include Iginla and Kipprusof for Calgary than I'm going to include St. Louis and Vinny for Tampa Bay. They were one goal away from making the Stanley Cup Finals only 2 years ago. I think they're definitely in better shape than Calgary going forward.
Of course you should include St. Louis and Lecavalier. Why on earth wouldn't you? And you haven't really explained why Tampa Bay, who finished six points behind the Flames last season, are definitely in better shape than Calgary, except for a playoff run two years ago.

Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote