View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
There are some misconceptions out there.

The MLB system provides significant revenue sharing for small market teams. The problem is that they have no minimum salaries. So in some cities the owners simply pocketed the money, or in the case of Miami used it for stadium financing. Fans in places like Pittsburgh were angry at their ownership because they weren't spending their money on players.

I also agree that it is a great time to check out other leagues. In the last lockout I started watching the Manitoba Bisons. [THREAD] I have never stopped.

One note: In the last lockout there was a lawsuit over the Stanley Cup. If the NHL does not compete for it then the trustees of the cup are obliged to hold an alternate competition for it. So we could have an interesting wait for a decision on that.

It will be interesting to see just what the NHL owners do. They cannot be on the same page. They could have extended the current arrangement which is fine for most teams. Just a few stupid owners giving long-term deals which make no sense mess thing up. But their teams will pay in the end with reduced cap space.

There are a few teams who cannot meet the salary floor. Since the salary floor was fine for them after the lockout it is evident the problem is that increasing revenues have not accrued evenly throughout the league. In other words, the rich have gotten richer. The teams that came out of the lockout profitable even when operating at the upper limit of the salary cap are therefore even more profitable now.

What impact does this have? The league's wealthier teams are able to do more revenue sharing than they were in 2005. Expect the NHLPA to demonstrate this in their counter-proposal.