View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How many teams have paid a luxury tax in baseball? 4 teams. The luxury tax is designed to prevent the Yankees from spending too much. $206M of the $227M has been paid by the Yankees. Boston has paid $19M in luxury taxes. Detroit and the Dodgers have about $1M each.

Baseball has revenue sharing but the NHL isn't interested in expanding revenue sharing. So much for Bettman and the small markets. He can't convince some of his big market teams to share more revenue. Fehr wants them to share more revenue but Bettman doesn't.

Management. Columbus is a poorly managed team. The Nats and Pirates have drafted and developed players. Go look at Columbus. How many bad picks have they paid? How many bad trades? How many bad contracts? They have spent money. They have almost as much money committed for 12-13 as the Rangers do.

The same teams have won every year in the NHL?

Post lockout

Carolina
Anaheim
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Boston
LA
Couldn't you set the luxury tax at a lower spending limit than the mlb? That's still a substantial amount those teams are paying. Boston paid a higher luxury tax in years past. They cut back on their spending, probably, because of the luxury tax. Yankees have cut back too.

Bettman is the problem if he doesn't want to approach the bigger market teams for increased revenue sharing, though a team like CBJ doesn't deserve it.

And CBJ's poor management was kind of my point. Bettman wanted parody in the league. Yet the salary cap hasn't helped a team like CBJ at all because they are unstable in management and player development. And I know that's not the only reason the cap was put in place. I know it was put in place more for the benefit of the owners.

Lastly, RB, yes different teams have been winning the cup but of those teams how many are truly small market teams? Carolina for sure. Anaheim? The others are bigger market teams imo, team financials aside.