View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Ever notice how players who rely on their hockey sense polarize observers as young players?

If Strome isn't fast or big enough to play center, neither is Brad Richards. I'm not saying Strome will be that good, but it's a matter of development and performance - not merely speed and size.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Tavares isn't that fast. Gretzky wasn't that fast. Papineau WAS pretty damned fast! Let's sign him. Make him a center!

Sorry, the brain is what makes a center. Not the build or velocity. The brain. The rest just augments the performance.
I definitely agree with both of you. He may not have the size and speed as of today, but both are things that can be improved upon. The kid has the vision and hockey IQ to be an offensive force. We've seen the evolution of Tavares who isn't blessed with great size or wheels, but he has sublime hockey sense and vision. He thinks the game at a completely different level than the average player and that's what makes him so special.

I hope the same applies to Strome as his body starts to catch up to his mind. It's unfair to him now since he's still just a 19 year old kid to label him too small and slow to be a center in the NHL. I'd hold off judgement until he's matured a bit and makes the NHL on a full-time basis. I'm sure the plan is to keep him at center, but the Isles need his talent on the ice regardless of position when his time comes.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote