View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What goalie isn't inconsistent?

I agree that our goaltending has been a weak point. Canada really hasnt developed anyone in recent years. You're not seeing a guy like Dustin Tokarski stepping up an shining as a pro. You're not seeing Chet Pickard live up to his pre draft hype. Hopefully that will change with Malcolm Subban, but that would be more towards 2018 than 2014.
Bernier, Mason being others...and overall I agree.

To your point, no goalies are inconsistent. However, we saw in 2010 how far dominant goaltending (Ryan Miller) can take a team that could otherwise be seen as somewhat undermanned. In the Olympic context, we'll in all likelihood need our goaltender to steal a game or two for us, and my issue with Luongo is that you largely don't know what you're getting on a game-by-game basis. I'm also concerned about his overall confidence level given the rough ride he's been given the past few years. He needs to land in a new environment and re-establish himself as an elite #1 goaltender (all within the next year and a half) for me to pencil him in as our #1 for 2014, but for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Price steps up in 2012-2013 and look to bring Lou along as a backup. I have nothing against Luongo, and you may be right, HC may have him penciled in as the de facto starter, but I think its more likely that they're leaving that open until the last possible minute.