Old
08-14-2012, 11:09 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Bernier, Mason being others...and overall I agree.

To your point, no goalies are inconsistent. However, we saw in 2010 how far dominant goaltending (Ryan Miller) can take a team that could otherwise be seen as somewhat undermanned. In the Olympic context, we'll in all likelihood need our goaltender to steal a game or two for us, and my issue with Luongo is that you largely don't know what you're getting on a game-by-game basis. I'm also concerned about his overall confidence level given the rough ride he's been given the past few years. He needs to land in a new environment and re-establish himself as an elite #1 goaltender (all within the next year and a half) for me to pencil him in as our #1 for 2014, but for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Price steps up in 2012-2013 and look to bring Lou along as a backup. I have nothing against Luongo, and you may be right, HC may have him penciled in as the de facto starter, but I think its more likely that they're leaving that open until the last possible minute.
Luongo at the international stage has played extremely well and hasnt done anything that suggests he won't be good in 2014.

How do you know what you'll get out of Carey Price? Or Braden Holtby? Or Marc Andre Fleury? Or Cam Ward? By the same standard, none of these goalies cut it.

I think you have to pencil in a roster right now, and erase names as you go and make changes as you go. If Carey Price develops into another Jonathan Quick then you definitely have to start him.

I think 2010 (re the Americans) proved more than anything not to buy in to the media garbage and fans expectations. That works in Luongo's favor as his reputation has been tarnished by ridiculous high standards set on him that isn't consistent with other goalies. Martin Brodeur blows it in game 7 of the EQF in 2009, and is named Canada's starter at the Olympics 10 months later. The media hyped team USA as massive underdogs but if you look at their roster you shouldn't be surprised they did well. They have a lot of solid youth, and a lot of talent. I personally predicted they'd be up there either in the gold or bronze medal games.