View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 11:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
No offense but going by points means so very little at the college level as a freshman. He was actually quite consistently solid as a freshman in his actual play, solid positionally and good offensive play compared to all the other highly touted underachieving freshman that plagued the team for that 3 year span. Draft position means very little for Haula IMO as the only rationale for anyone that saw him play at SSM is that he was passed up by teams that didn't scout SSM well at all.

As for your point of not having a future with the team its understandable as we are so deep at fwd but that doesn't mean his prospect potential is any lower, I would project him as a solid 2nd to 3rd line tweener if he maintains his development. Anyone who watched Irmen in college could have told you he would never make the NHL, Haula is a terrible comparison in terms of actual skill and playing ability.
I take offense at him being referenced as a "freshman." Technically yes, he was a first year college player. However, Jason Zucker's 23 goal freshman season (just one less than Haula's point total in goals alone), he was 18 to start the season and turned 19 partway through. Coyle's 26 point freshman year? Same story, except he didn't turn 19 until almost the last day of the season. Nick Bjugstad's 20 in 29 games? He finished the season as an 18 year old. Haula's 24 points in 34 games? He finished the year as a 20 year old.

It's not quite as egregious as Casey Wellman's USHL/NCAA career progression (he turned 21 during his first season) but out of all the past players who have come through the Wild pipeline in one way or another, I'd say he's easily the most comparable.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote