Thread: Value of: Marcel Goc to Buffalo
View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
I've asked this in another thread but never saw if it got a reply.

Why does Buffalo need more C? What do they currently look like at C right now.

I know it's too early for Grig/Girg to be expected to crack the roster, but one of them might be able to get at least 9 games.

Hodgson seems ready for a full time top-6 job. Is Gerbe capable of top-6?
We have a lot of potential at center, but many Sabres fans are justifiably concerned that we're clinging to much potential--as they say, potential gets you fired. Ennis has played <30 games of center in his NHL career. Can Hodgson be counted on to produce like a top-6 center? We'll find out. Regardless, those are the two centers to be counted on for offense.

As far as Grigs and Girgs, most expect Girgensons to start the year in Rochester. Because he was drafted out of the USHL, he is not subject to the 9-games rule. Additionally, many don't want to rush Grigorenko and would prefer for him to go back to Quebec for a year, whether or not he plays the first nine games in Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
Ott, McCormick, and Porter will fill out the bottom-6 roles.

Not much depth I suppose. Looking at it now I can see the need for a temporary fill while the youth develops. Is Hecht definitely not returning?
Ott will likely take the faceoffs on one of the top three lines. Many are speculating that he'll take the faceoffs on a line with Leino, and then allow Leino to take the center responsibilities for the remainder of the shift, akin to the setup Ville said he had with Briere in Philly. And, as it stands now, the final center spot is probably up for grabs between McCormick, Ellis, and Porter.

The problem is, a lot could go wrong with our center position. One could argue that we only have one natural center on the club right now (Hodgson), and the rest are converted wingers (Ennis), wingers who happen to be good at faceoffs (Ott), or NHL filler (McCormick, Ellis, Porter).

The center situation in Buffalo looks bright for the future, but this season could be very touch-and-go.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote