View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I never said I was right...I just have an unpopular opinion, it doesn't make me wrong either.

Either way, i'm not trying to be right...just shedding some light on what I feel is a misunderstood point of view
Who thought Carter was overpaid? Signed way too long, I could concede... Overpaid on a cap hit basis? That I would call fallacy.

If his contract had a 7M price tag... I think you would have seen him become un-movable due to the "superstar" salary and contract length that would be associated to a "good but not great" player. That contract also seems to have changed how he plays and how much he produces.

Montreal wouldn't have too hard of a time attracting players, not like the Islanders do. It's been proven before. We've signed some pretty good players over the course of the last 3-4 years. We have a solid core in place. Hypothetically let's say next season we make progress, the next season we have a good-to-great year and have a surprise playoff run. We are on the cusp of becoming contenders with a core entering it's prime and solid youth on the cusp of joining as well.. Is it inconceivable that a few solid UFA's might have interest in joining this team on the verge of perhaps winning the cup?

Of course. The odds would be good. Of course our odds of adding such a player will have gone up considerably as well with guys like Gomez now off the books. Saving "a mill here, a mill there" on contracts like Pacioretty also add up, and improve our position in the future in the quest to add talent.

You are 100% right that some guys "overstate" the importance of the cap. Some do. I've seen you type that overpaying by a million here or there isn't that big of a deal... I do believe that at that point, it's becoming an issue. Price got overpaid by maybe .25-.5M according to some. That I can totally live with, plus the guy had a considerable amount of leverage on us. We have no options in net outside of him.

If I was Bergevin I'd be trying my best to continue to lock up players I consider key pieces at value or better deals. It gives him so much more flexibility moving forward, can we not agree on this?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote