View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
2. Hodgson situation was handled __brilliantly__. I mean, to sit on a disgruntled prospect for 3 yrs, without it leaking that he wanted out, and to get the return he did was downright masterful. It was GM'ing at its finest. Gillis has done some things wrong, but this definitely was not one of them.
I don't think you'll find anyone else out there that believes Cody Hodgson was handled 'brilliantly' since being drafted. There was the injury in training, the improper diagnosis, the moronic comments from Gillis' head coach, the inevitable trade which left the roster weakened heading into the playoffs followed by Gillis' press conference where he took parting shots at the youngster.

Gillis tried to salvage the situation as best he could but I'm sure he would be the first to say he's disappointed with how everything went down. The jury is still out on the longterm ramifications of this transaction but I doubt a betting man would say we're poised to win this swap...

As For Gillis' grade, I don't know how a guy wins back to back Presidents trophies and comes away with a C-. Even if pretty much every impact player on the roster was a Nonis and Burke acquisition.

Gillis hasn't done anything in the past 12 months to warrant an excellent grade - though his entire body of work has been quite good IMO.