View Single Post
08-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I was thinking that with all the D-men we've got Murray could play for another year in the WHL, but now I see that he has nothing to do over there. So I've checked the CHL/AHL eligibility rules one more time - that's 20 years old OR 4 years of play in the CHL. I know that 4 years rule probably has never been used, but Murray actually took part in 4 WHL seasons now. In 2008-09 he played 5 playoffs games for Everette.

BTW here's the rule:

Does it make Murray eligible to play in the AHL next season? Can anybody clarify that?
It has to be four full seasons; the 15 year old stint doesn't count as a full season with the club, as his call-up was after his midget team's season was finished. Murray is not AHL eligible, and I don't feel that another year in the WHL would hurt his development.

For me, part of the reason the 2003 draft was so successful is the glut of players that were allowed another year of junior (or, in some cases, AHL) hockey. A guy like Ryan Getzlaf was sent back to Calgary, where he dominated that year alongside Andrew Ladd. Dominating kids the same age is not only good for morale, but is also a chance for them to show that they can play on a high level every night. These are the same kids that they'll face at the next level in many circumstances - if Murray can obliterate them in junior, why can't he do it at the next level?

Unless he cracks the top-4, I think he has to spend another year in the 'dub. But the Adrian Aucoin signing makes it obvious that he'll have every chance to make the team and have AA as his mentor.