View Single Post
Old
08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Lets see what the details are and the complete proposal from the NHLPA before deciding what consessions the players are suggesting.

For now, the players have put a pretty nice spin on their response, as each side tries to win the PR battle. But buried in that 'alternate view' may be some things that they know the owners won't go for. You have to believe that they do not want salaries to be hindered or impeded on a go forward basis.

Revenue sharing will be key, no doubt. But that's a difficult thing to determine as the NHL is still a gate driven league, to a large degree, in many centers as they do not have significant national broadcast revenue close to the level of other major leagues. The bigger markets have local broadcast deals that smaller markets can't come close to.

The problem i see with a luxury tax is free spending teams continue to drive salaries up, as it only takes a few to spend (as we have seen this summer) to create an elevated market. If they overspend, their taxed. Well, if i can afford it, i'll continue to spend. My fan base, ownership and shareholders expect our team to win and the revenues that come from long playoff runs each year.

Last edited by Bob E: 08-14-2012 at 09:55 PM.