Thread: Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin press conference
View Single Post
Old
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Jakomyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
True but no other player has a bigger cap hit and is less useful than Gomez. He's the easiest person to send down without having to justify it to anyone. I think most people think it's a foregone conclusion that Gomez will likely start the season in Montreal but the moment it's not convenient to have him or his salary on the roster, they'll ship him down to Hamilton barring a trade to a team that would take his enormous salary on.
I think the idea is that posters don't have to complain about the 'cap' preventing us from signing/trading for players that they may want because, as Bergevin says, regardless of our current cap space, if a situation arose where they could acquire a player (i.e. Doan) to improve the team, they could find a way to make the space. Whether this is by moving Gomez or someone else is up to Bergevin.

I think this is 417's point about not worrying so much about the cap, as plenty scream about how Gomez's cap hit prevents us from obtaining other players, which is simply not true.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote