View Single Post
Old
08-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If I hear "eat whole grains" one more time, I'm going to throw something at the person saying it. The paranoia of eating fat is downright silly. Too much politics coming from the vegetarians, even though you can die of a heart attack being said vegetarian or, worse yet, vegan.

I don't want to derail this topic too much and people are welcome to PM me for full details. But I'll start with a couple of things.

1. Concentrate on liver health, in a lot of ways the most important organ outside of the brain. Certainly for overall health. Dr. Sandra Cabot is a great resource. Paleo is the closest life style change similar to her teachings. As a male you can lose weight and eat 2,500+ calories a day. Without exercising. I lost the first 63 pounds eating full, tasty meals and not exercising a bit. I have purchased one of her books for, at least, 10 people. Where Paleo differs from things like Atkinson's is the quality of food you are putting in your body. I follow something in the middle of the two philosophies (Paleo and Cabot).

2. The "transformation" was when I started Crossfit. You don't need anything that dramatic, but the coach lead sessions are great for motivation. All the exercise are scaled to your performance. Nothing like getting to the point that you can do a hand stand push up or muscle up on the rings. There are very obtainable goals. When I started, I could run about 200 meters. Now I can run a couple of miles, maybe more haven't tried to push it further. When I started Crossfit I was in 42 Jeans (down from 46). Now my 34's are starting to get large. I was in XL's for shirts with a 17.5 inch neck at my peak. Now I am in L's (comfortable) with a 15 inch neck.

My blood pressure was 100/60 with a heart rate of 58 during my last trip to the Red Cross. 19 months ago it was 136/82. All the other vitals that you hear of these days are perfect, things like blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Yes, I am very passionate about this topic.

There is alot to be said for the Paleolithic Diet. I recommend reading up on it for anyone, regardless of your health. I've had real success just moving a fraction of my diet in that direction (raw almonds and a piece of fruit for breakfast every morning), and I have a good friend who's improved his health dramatically by eating what he calls the "caveman diet".

Everytime you make a food choice, consider how far that food travelled (was processed) before it got to you. The closer you are to the source of the food, the more likely it is to improve your health. I know thats a very basic and only semi accurate description, but its an easy rule of thumb to keep in the back of your mind as you make mealtime choices.

I'll have to check out Cabot, never heard of her.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote