Thread: Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin press conference
View Single Post
Old
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what your point is. IT IS a problem if to get a guy he HAS to make room for it. It wouldn't be a problem if he just would trade or sign a guy WITHOUT having to make room. You still can be GM without having to constant juggle your lineup. Others elsewhere have been GM without having to make room. Taking decisions can be happening just by wondering if a guy is good or not for your team....if a deal makes your team better without having to send a guy for a 7th rounder to make room for it. Mind you, nobody will cry if it does happen for Gomez. But I do know that every FREAKIN time we've been forced to DEAL somebody or we HAD to make a move and other teams saw us coming from a mile.....we rarely if NEVER were the winning team......

Also.....being a GM works if you can find another GM to work with. Yes...that's also what being a GM is.....find a fish. But sometimes, you just can't do anything. Which player to make the room needed has value and would you be willing to part with? We shouldn't be willing to deal Kaberle...is soooooooooooooooo precious.....Who else? And when the answer is NOBODY....well there's so much room you can make. The only players you could get rid of and and make some significative cap space are Gomez, Bourque and Kaberle. Others are either untouchables, or not paid enough to make some significant room....or just not interesting enough. There's so much a GM can do.
Why is it a problem? A challenge? sure...but again, that's part of being a General Manager. It's about making decisions that affect your roster.

I don't understand why, what I said was so controversial...Bergevin HIMSELF said that it is not a problem to create room under the cap if they want to target a specific player...and that holds true for all other 29 NHL teams. There are countless examples of GM's doing just that...

Yet fans want to keep pulling their hair out trying to figure out how their favorite team is going to manage their salary cap. I just don't understand how come the people in charge of managing the salary cap, don't seem overly concerned with salaries...yet fans/media spend their days scouring through capgeek.com

It makes no sense.

Furthermore, Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque are not the only players who can be moved to create cap space...

Why couldn't the Habs move Plekanec? Or Gionta? Or Markov? Or Cole? Or Gorges...

Why do fans think that only the undesirables are the one's that have to be moved? Wouldn't you agree that, if you need to create cap space, moving players with trade value would be the best way to go about things?

Is that not what the Flyers did last year when they moved Carter/Richards? Roster players are moving parts, it's like fitting pieces of a puzzle together....some GM's are better at it then others.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote