2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*
View Single Post
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
According to TSN hockey analyst Aaron Ward, the offer also calls for a limit on 'non-player' spending such as costs for head coaching, front office and management payrolls.
This is hilarious. The employees are trying to tell the employer how many managers he can have and how much he can spend on them.
Oh well, all part of the bargaining fun! Although, I bet Wang liked this one.
Seriously, though, now that both deals are laid out here's my answer:
- Agree on a 50-50 HRR split (what's more fair than half each?)
- Rejig the revenue sharing with the 7% diverted from the players to the owners (to help the poorer teams)
- In concert, roll back all salaries 7% to match the change in HRR split (equivalent of 2 weeks salary a year, which most players will lose in a lockout of any duration anyway, esp the dudes with big front-loaded deals)
- Agree to cap contracts at 7 years (a reasonable compromise, that allows for security and kills the cap circumvention)
- Make ELCs 4 years (PAs always sacrifice the young for the vets anyway)
- Make no year of a contract worth more than +/-30% of the average annual amount (the silly front loading needs to stop, especially after the Weber thing)
- Leave UFA the way it is (the other changes should correct most of the current UFA issues)
- Agree to go to Sochi in 2014 (feel good for the players and doesn't cost the owners too much)
- Agree to standardize the discipline into 5 or 6 levels of sanctions (fines and/or suspensions), defined in the CBA by the league and PA during the negotiation, that are clearly defined and then broadly applied.
Ex: Shanny would then go on camera and say "because of the blah-blah-blah of this act, I'm assessing a Level 4 punishment." At least this way, all the players know broadly what the possible impacts of acts are and the discretion is in the League's judgement of which set punishment fits the nature of the offence committed. This would only be for on-ice / in-game stuff, not off-ice where the league needs more discretion.
Print this up, ship it off to them, get it signed and then get on with life.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by JKP