View Single Post
Old
08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
These are opening volleys, nothing to get too disappointed about. Give it sometime. Starting next week I am betting they will be meeting every other day or more, some serious progress can happen.

It's like when a player goes for arbitration. The team's offer is like 2 million, the players like 7 million. A world of difference it seems like, but really the team is gunning for a 4 million dollar deal, the player a 4.5 million dollar deal. It seems bad at first, but you quickly realize both sides have plenty of room to give.

For example, it's clear, IMO, that things like the 10 year RFA period, max 5 year contracts, etc were placed in the owner's original offer so that they can be "given up" in negotiations. I have no doubt the owners would be completely fine with the current 7 years of RFA, and maybe a 8-10 year maximum on contracts (pending other details as well). But that is somewhere where they can "give ground" in order to stick to their guns on lower percentage, for example. And the players will likely be willing to give on the percentage points, (given a redefinition of HRR), in order to maintain the revenue sharing program that will enable more teams to spend more.

Give and take. It will take time, but there is still a month, a lot can happen in that time. Calm down everyone.

Pretty been my view the whole time. There's no way either side will do a lock out again.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you make alot of sense HC.