View Single Post
Old
08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Hammer79

vCash: 500
This era is the best.

Linden/Bure/Adams/McLean had the one run and a couple of 2nd round appearances, but they were never dominate in the regular season. If San Jose hadn't pulled off the monster first round upset of Detroit in '94, I think the cup final that year would have been Detroit vs NY Rangers. It's easy to get nostalgic about that team and about Bure's goal scoring prowess, but they weren't close to being a complete team.

Smyl/Gradin/Snepsts/Brodeur was a bit before my time, I was only 2 when that finals happened. From the looks of it though, that was just a mediocre team that went on a Cinderella run and ran into the Islanders cup dynasty. If the Kings didn't pull the huge 48 point difference upset in round 1, Vancouver probably wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round against 92 goal 212 pt Gretzky's Oilers.

West Coast Express might have made noise in the playoffs if they had some decent goaltending. That 2nd round loss to the Wild shouldn't have happened, Cloutier just fell apart. There was also that series where they went up 2-0 on a powerhouse Detroit squad, and one goal from centre ice cratered Cloutier's confidence and the series was done in 6 games. If they had decent goaltending the story might have been very different, but Burke's weakness has always been evaluating goaltenders. One thing that team had that this era doesn't is an established power forward. That's the one missing ingredient for the modern era team.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote