View Single Post
Old
08-15-2012, 11:38 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm sure there's a reason you're so adamant that the stars who drive up on-ice shooting percentage do so by getting the puck close to the net, rather than by playmaking, but I don't know what it is.
I'd argue that playmaking is a facet of getting the puck close to the net. When is playmaking most effective? When the recipient is in the slot or close in, just outside the slot. Although 'getting the puck close/open' might be slightly more accurate, since there are times when the shooter is relatively far out and the playmaker simply gives him an open net to shoot at.

I agree with the other poster that it would be more accurate to say that Crosby's skill is getting the puck close to the net, because although he's a fantstic playmaker, he's also just really good at taking it there himself and scoring (hence his high personal shooting percentage).

@TalksToGoalposts: Just wanted to mention that Tanguay is a bad example of "high SH% player taking lion's share of shots", since he averages around 100 shots/season. His personal shot percentage is ludicrously high, though, and he does play on a line with Iginla.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote