View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 06:44 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
My point regarding Desharnais is not short term issue, cause we have what it takes to surround him properly, its more about a mid - long term vision now that we have Gally in the system and that his chances to crack the line-up next year (2013-14) are pretty good.. My point is, do you want Gally to center our third line next year with marginal wingers to play with or you want to give the kid some of our best players to put him in a winning situation right from the start? I mean, can we agree that Desharnais has to play with our best wingers to succeed? Do you really see him centering our third or fourth line? No question, to be useful to the team, DD need to play on the top 2 lines with proper linemates and get ton of PP time.. The prob (my prob at least), if you want to keep him with the team, you need to send a respected vet like Plekanec, who can do an indredible job centering a second line on about every NHL teams, centering the third line to do the dirty job of trying to form a realiable line with unproven or more defensively minded wingers.. Frankly, Plekanec doesnt deserved it, there is no way he will accept a such downgrade and Im quite in agreement with this.. So you have 4 names for 3 spots in the hat (3 first centers).. Gally Pleks Desharnais Eller.. I know some of you are in total love with DD, but to me there is no question, Plekanec is the best overall player of the 2 and should remains on the top 6 of this team.. Then you have DD vs Gally for the other spot on the top 6, Eller could be also in the mix then as he is a big skilled kid with ton of upside.. Who do you rather have between the 3? Its too soon to tell but one thing we know, Eller can do the dirty job on the third line, he brings something this line-up lacks down the middle, a big body presence responsible defensively and tough to play against.. So Im not a predicator but I can read between the lines, unless Eller is moved on the wings for good and that the org. takes the decision to play Gally on the third line to start his NHL carreer next year, DD has very slim chances to survive here very long unless he keeps improving at the point where management starts thinking about moving Plekanec, what is very very unlikely IMO.
I have the same issue with DD and I'm still seeing an outside chance Leblanc will eventually play in the middle. I'm thinking that the solution in 2 years is to actually have Plekanec be the 3rd center and let him focus on being a total shutdown guy. If Eller keeps progressing physically I think his offense will at some point grow, so it might work something like this.

2013-2014
Maxpac - Gally - Gionta
Eller - DD - Cole
Prust - Pleks - Leblanc
Moen - White - Bourque
Gomez - Gallagher/Colberg

When you think about it, DD is the kind of 2nd center we want, more than Eller and Plekanec, he provides offensive output for himself and his wingers but you don't want him playing against the top other team top line. Then it becomes Gally vs Pleks for the 1st line. I don't think that will be a fair fight, Gally offensively is too gifted to be used on the 3rd line and we'll need to have Maxpac score at 35+ goals pace still. Not sure Plekanec is that kind of play maker, he's more a 30-30 center than a 10-50(dd). This way we have center depth even if Gally goes down, or even if 2 of the centers go down. Gallagher can pitch in on the first 2 lines and hopefully Colberg is knocking on the door in case 2 of the scoring wingers are down. I'll remember 2011-2012 for being the year that our team got much worse with injuries, no depth.

Then there's the future. Gallagher / Colberg are DD's competition imo. If Gionta / Cole don't get downgraded, expect to see DD shipped out when Colberg/Gallagher makes it. Gallagher gets a small headstart on Colberg.

Last edited by SOLR: 08-16-2012 at 06:55 AM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote