View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
They made the mistake of assuming that no salary cap meant no salary cap. And they would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids..or retroactive cap restrictions that the league talked the players into signing off on because they were upset that teams were exploiting the biggest loophole in their dumb system that they put into the CBA as a poison pill negotiation motivator in the first place. I understand that the league would be upset and I understand that both Washington and Dallas were strongly encouraged not to do what they did, but I really don't understand how the league's approach to getting the players to agree to let them enforce the penalties isn't illegal.

League: "We're going to take away a lot of money from the Cowboys and Redskins"

Players: "That sounds terrible, that's less money for us."

League: "Don't worry we're going to give it to all of the other teams, so it's cool"

Players: "So it's the same amount of money, why does it matter?"

League: "Well we could just drop the cap by 7 mil for every team in the league if you guys don't want to party..."
Your head is firmly in the sand if you think the problem is that they spent too much.

The problem is that they structured contracts so that they could potentially spend too much in cap years, specifically with the intention of circumventing future caps.

Just like the NHL can veto contracts that are technically legal but intended to circumvent the cap, the NFL can take action as well.