View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
A couple of thoughts on that:

We've actually drafted forwards pretty well, but just no elite forwards. Guys like Hornqvist, Erat, Hartnell, Tootoo, Upshall, Spaling, etc all turned into solid if unspectacular NHLers.

Then again, you have to remember that we've never really been in a position to land a guy like a Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Bobby Ryan, Kessel, etc, etc. The highest pick we've had since '98 was #6 - it's hard to really land those bigtime dynamic forwards drafting outside the top 5.

We've also had some bad luck (like how Tampa won the lottery during our expansion year - landing LeCavalier while we got Legwand), or the one truly elite scorer we got turned out to be a complete headcase (Radulov), Budish's bad knees, Geoffrion busted.

Even so, Nashville has always had a preference to build from the blueline out. It's just the organizational philosophy. And looking at some of the D-men they've drafted and developed, it's hard to say that it's not a successful strategy.

I like what I'm hearing about Aberg, and I think Wilson has big upside and Smith has some serious scoring potential.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote