View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 04:45 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
If he's productive given the opportunity, why have this discussion?
A player who only manages 16 goals and 60 points given the spectacular assets of great linemates, great zone starts and 3 minutes a game of PP time is not a player we should build around. I expect Plekanec would have had 65-75 points given those advantages.

Given those assets, a stanley cup contender would expect their 1st line center to produce 80+ points. We all hope that one day Galchenyuk will be able to produce 80-100 points with those kinds of advantages. I don't think Desharnais ever will.

He doesn't have the high-end offensive potential of Galchenyuk, the offensive ability of Plekanec or the defensive abilities of either Plekanec or Eller. There's no room for Desharnais long-term.

Quote:
First off I said I said he had a career year. I never said this will be his career year when he's done his career. It is his currently his career year, don't twist the words, it is what what it is.
OK, so you're crediting Desharnais for Pacioretty having his best season in his first full season.

I would guess that the vast majority of 22 year-olds have their "career seasons" in your definition of "career season".

Quote:
What I particularly love is the fact you admit all 3 had easy minutes and I can assume based on that you'd admit it was a factor(if not major factor) in their career years. Now...we're basing these guys under easy minutes as 'best wingers on the team'.
Cole had his best season with Desharnais. Here are two possibilities:

1) David Desharnais is better than Eric Staal.
2) Cole had easier ice time this year.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?????????????

Quote:
That's the fallacy here. 1 member of the line "is not as good as his production suggests" yet the other two "are as good as the production suggests". Maybe max and Cole are expendable too? I mean, they had similar point productions and all had easy minutes.
We have Plekanec and Eller down the middle. Next year we might have Galchenyuk. There is no such depth on wing. Actually, we're extremely weak on wing. I think we should keep the few good wingers we do have.

Quote:
Now, for sake of discussion, I'm gonna go to NHL.com and look up some stats.

Here we go, road points. You know...where you don't get to match lines as you wish as you don't have 2nd change? Evidently, it will be harder minutes for ALL our players there no?

Desharnais ties Cole in points(DD has 1 less GP). Desharnais surpasses max with 2 points more in 2 games more(again, higher PPG on road for DD).

The leader in points on the road for forwards? Plekanec with a solid 30. Not surprised, we'd both agree plekanec does matchups and on the road he's less likely to do and will get better matchups and our first line would not.

Now, at home, under 2nd change max has a staggering 42 points in 41 games. That's 18 more than during his less protected minutes on the road. Desharnais rolls in with 35, as opposed to 25 on the road and so does Cole 36vs25. Plekanec in defensively responsibility has 22 pts at home, decreasing as he's allowed to do defensive matchups.

Essentially, it's normal to have more points at home than on the road if you're a top line or in general. Now...my argument is, when in harder minutes where you can be matched up against Cole, Max and DD still had similar production. DD was 2nd in PPG for forwards on the road(only slightly, i'll say it's a 3 way tie at #2).

Again, DD fits in just fine. His lack of being a true stud does not change the fact he can produce and be an asset. DD is not perfect, he's not a selke candidate and he's not koivu. I know, you know, but it doesn't make him a bad player either, be objective.
You can't match lines on the road but you can still pick who gets offensive zone starts, who gets PP time, and who gets which linemates.

We saw Plekanec play shutdown with Staubitz and White down the stretch. That is the flip side of of Desharnais playing offense with Cole and Pacioretty. One step forward, one step back.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote