View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
I think there's a misunderstanding.

I'm not saying that Desharnais is garbage and that we should trade him to be free of his limitations.

I think that going forward, we won't have each of Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller, and Galchenyuk on the team. I am guessing that the maximal trade value could be obtained at this year's deadline, though that could be wrong. It may be that we should wait until next summer. I am also assuming that since Desharnais is a decent player, he might fetch good value.

Our team is strong at center, weak on the wings, weak on defense, and with an average farm system. It makes sense to trade some of our center depth to build strength in those other areas.

Plekanec is the better player. I'd rather keep Plekanec. However, if he attracts much better trade bait, then I trade Plekanec and keep Desharnais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
What says Cole and max are 'great'. You prove my point. If they had easy minutes, same as DD, why are they great and DD not good? Doesn't even make sense. I don't disagree that they're good but what's the logic here?

You admit Cole and Max had easier minutes but also say they are 'great'. Why? DD isn't as good as his points suggest because he gets easy minutes but Cole and Max are as good as they look?
I expect that Cole and Pacioretty would be 1st line forwards on most of the teams in the league, but I don't see them being 30-30 players elsewhere without these privileged minutes.

Quote:
Also, Plekanec will get 65-75 points but DD getting 60 in his first full year. Completely unworthy of the spot for 5 points?!? Seriously?
1) 5-15 points is huge.
2) Plekanec can also contribute 2-4 minutes a game of some of the best penalty killing abilities in the league... also huge.

Quote:
By the time Galchenyuk's a #1(I'll give it say...2 years? 1 year of Juniors + 1 year as an NHL rookie) Plekanec will be nearly 32 and going downhill. By that time, we'll make a decision. There's no reason to make one NOW.
I never said the decision should be made now.

It should be made before Galchenyuk joins the team. I don't want to see him on the 4th line and I don't want to hear garbage about him needing to earn a roster spot. That means a trade at either the deadline or next summer.

Quote:
I agree Plekanec gets hard minutes and poor linemates but this has NOTHING to do with DD. Zero, nada. A team is supposed to have 4 top 6 wingers on average. Habs have 3 and bourque. Gionta was injured, not DD's fault either.
If Desharnais gets to take faceoffs in the offensive zone it means that other centers will take faceoffs in the defensive zone. It has everything to do with it.

If Desharnais plays 3 minutes a game on the PP it means other centers won't be playing 3 minutes a game on the PP. It has everything to do with it.

If Desharnais plays with Cole and Pacioretty it means that other centers will play with Ryan White, Brandon Prust, or Rene Bourque. It has everything to do with it.

Finally, Gionta being injured is irrelevant, because at any given time a typical Habs team will be missing a top-6 winger.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote